This popular dish has as many loyal fans as it does recipe variations. Depending upon your guest list, you may need to prepare a “traditional” version using canned green beans and mushroom soup. At My Cooking Magazine, we love this recipe featuring fresh organic green beans and a homemade, dairy-free mushroom sauce. It’s so delicious you may win some converts!
1 lb. fresh whole organic green beans
2 tablespoons vegan butter
¼ cup sliced shallots
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
½ teaspoon dried tarragon
2 cups finely chopped portobella mushrooms
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup soy milk
1 cup French-fried onion rings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Rinse and trim ends from green beans. Steam in a medium sauce pot until just tender.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté shallots 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms; stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 cup vegetable broth and cook until mixture begins to thicken. Add soy milk, reduce heat to low and cook until bubbly. Remove from heat and add green beans.
- Fill casserole dish with green bean mixture. Bake for 20 minutes, then top with onions and bake another 5-7 minutes until lightly browned. Get ready to see smiling faces!